More than 1.7 billion people around the world are unbanked and can’t access the financial services they need. KIVA is an international nonprofit, founded in 2005 in San Francisco, with a mission to expand financial access to help underserved communities thrive. Kiva does this by crowdfunding loans and unlocking capital for the underserved, improving the quality and cost of financial services, and addressing the underlying barriers to financial access around the world. Northwoods has donated $6,350 since 2010.
How the Kiva Share the Plate was Spent
In April 2021 we shared our collection plate donations with the KIVA program. Thanks to the amazing generosity of our Northwoods community donations have come in to help support our Kiva lending activities. Because so many of you shared we were able to support a large number of borrowers. For 3rd Quarter 2021 your generosity has allowed us to fund $575 in loans. We used part of your generosity to be able to give just a little bit more to many borrowers to help them reach their lending goals faster. We were also able to donate $50 to Kiva to help with administrative costs and support the agency. New loans that we are funding:
- Analyn – Philippines – $25.00 – To buy additional raw materials for the improvement of her sanitary toilet
- Dorcas – Kenya – $25.00 – To pay school fees for her two children and maintain them in school
- Hằng – Vietnam – $50.00 – To buy materials and pay wages for labourers to build a hygienic toilet to replace the old one
- Jennifer – Philippines – $50.00 – To build a sanitary toilet for her family
- Keppler – Rwanda – $50.00 – To provide stipends to 515 Rwandan students impacted by COVID-19 and related restrictions on universities.
- Leonora – Philippines – $50.00 – To build a sanitary toilet for her family
- Lu’isa – Tonga – $50.00 – To buy pandanus and a big pot for boiling raw pandanus to support her weaving business which is her family’s main source of income
- Marites – Philippines – $50.00 – To build a sanitary toilet
- Mary – Kenya – $50.00 – To purchase a water tank to help her family as their area is experiencing water shortages
- Mimoza – Albania – $25.00 – To pay for her daughter’s medical expenses
- Saatgul – Kyrgyzstan – $25.00 – Rural borrower needs to do repairs on her home
- Vida – Albania – $50.00 – To rebuild the roof of her house after the damage caused by an earthquake
- Xuân – Vietnam – $50.00 – To build a toilet for her family
How to Make a Donation
A deep and resounding thank you to those who have donated to Kiva. If you’d like to make a donation to help support our Kiva outreach you can do so via the Northwoods donation page using the KIVA designation.
Nominate KIVA for Share the Plate.
KIVA donations are the gifts that never stop giving. Once the loan is made and repaid, the money is recirculated in the KIVA program and made available for new loans. To increase our lending capacity, nominate KIVA for another Share the Plate Sunday. Click here for the nomination form.